Friday, August 19, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

So Jeremy was watching Scrubs today... and Elliot made chocolate chip cookies for J.D.  The minute I saw the cookies, I got a craving for some.  I was hoping that dinner would be enough that I wouldn't still want the cookies.  Clearly that didn't work. :)

I decided to try to find a recipe which used whole wheat flour so that I could pretend the cookies were healthy. Regardless of whether they're healthy, these were delicious.

They baked up very thin and almost crispy.  They also spread out a lot so make sure you leave plenty of space on the cookie sheet for these.  They started out about 1" across but ended up about 4" in diameter.

I only baked 6 of the cookies.  The rest of the dough is in the process of freezing (I portioned them out with a tablespoon on a baking sheet (as in the recipe) but put them in the freezer rather than baking them.  I'll put them in a ziploc baggie when they're finished and hopefully be able to pull out a couple cookies to bake up when another craving hits.)  Hopefully this will help me not eat 2 dozen cookies within the span of a couple of days. :)

While I'm not usually crazy about desserts (or baking for that matter), it's nice to have a few recipes around to satisfy the occasional craving.  This one will certainly be made again.

I used a mixture of semi-sweet and white chocolate chips for this but any chocolate chip will work in this.  These would also be delicious with nuts in them.  I may have to add some next time. :)


Recipe:
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. margarine, softened
1/2 c. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 c. white chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix white sugar, brown sugar, margarine, oil, vanilla, and an egg in a large bowl until well blended.  (I used a regular whisk... but an electric mixer would've gone faster.)
3. Add flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix until flour is completely incorporated.
4. Add chocolate chips and fold into the dough.
5. Scoop the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet using a tablespoon.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges are light brown.
7. Allow to cool for a couple minutes before serving/transferring to a cooling rack to cool. (The cookies never make it to the rack before Jeremy and I dig in...)

No comments:

Post a Comment