Friday, August 26, 2011

Garlic-Thyme Roast Pork with Spaetzle and Peas

Jeremy and I were out shopping today and discovered that pork roasts were on sale.  So we brought one home.  I didn't want to just remake the pork roast I'd made before, so I decided to make it with garlic and thyme.  And after my last attempt at making spaetzle, I decided to do that again. The result was delicious.  I never used to eat pork but after these few attempts, it might start appearing on our plates more frequently.

The pork was really simple as all it required was rubbing on a few ingredients and then shoving it in the oven for a little over an hour.  The spaetzle takes more work but still isn't overly tedious.  I won't repeat the recipe here since I already blogged about it.  I did end up adding slightly more milk to it this time as it was a little thick... but I think that was just faulty measuring on my part.  To go with them I just microwaved some frozen peas and added a little margarine.

The delicious smell of garlic that permeated the apartment while the roast was cooking was fantastic.  I could barely wait to cut into the pork and eat it.  We have a little over half the roast left and a bit of the spaetzle too.  I'm definitely looking forward to these leftovers. :)

Next time I might try making a sauce or a gravy to go on this.  It was delicious but both the pork and the spaetzle would probably have been even yummier with gravy.



Recipe:
2 lb. pork roast
1 tbs. minced garlic
1 tbs. dried parsley
1 tbs. dried thyme
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3. Rub onto pork, covering all sides.
4. Place pork on a rack in a roasting pan (fat side up).  Roast in oven for approximately 1 1/4 hours until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees.
5. Remove roast from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment