Monday, August 29, 2011

Spinach and Carmelized Onion Pizza


Last night I felt like having pizza... so Jeremy made some whole wheat pizza dough in our bread machine and I got to work making carmelized onions.  I made these well in advance of dinner because if I'm already hungry when I start cooking them, they never make it to carmelized before I decide that they're done enough because I want to get eating. This pizza was really delicious and since it was loaded with veggies and fat free ricotta I'd say it was pretty healthy. :) 

One of the best things I've gotten over the years is a pizza stone.  While this could certainly be made on a baking sheet, nothing gives the same crispy crust like a pizza stone.  I just preheat the oven with the stone inside and then make the pizza on a pizza peel to slide it onto the stone.  (If the dough is being tough and not sliding I sometimes make it on the stone itself... but that can be a little dangerous.) 

This fed both of us last night - Jeremy and 4 slices and I had 3.  Jeremy had my last slice for lunch (ok... a snack) today.  It's nice to have a white pizza every so often as a change of pace. :)




15 oz. fat free ricotta cheese
3 c. fresh spinach
1 medium-sized onion
1 tbs. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
2 tbs. olive oil (divided)
1 pizza's worth of pizza dough (any brand or homemade will work)

1. Cut the onion in half and then slice into thin (1/2") slices.  Heat a small frying pan over medium-low heat.  Add 1 tbs. olive oil, the onions, and a pinch of salt.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and light brown (about half an hour).
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
3. Chop the spinach into small ribbons (1/4").  In a small bowl, mix riccotta, spinach, garlic, crushed red pepper flake, and salt.
4. Spread some cornmeal on a pizza peel and roll out the dough to roughtly 1/2" thickness.  Brush the crust with 1 tbs. of olive oil.  Spread the ricotta-spinach mixture onto the dough.
5. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.  Add the carmelized onions and parmesan to the pizza.  Bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is crisp.
6. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.  Slice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment