Monday, June 6, 2011

Chicken, Broccoli, and Water Chestnut Stir Fry

The last three weeks have been filled with travel for Jeremy and me.  After the semester ended, we visited friends and family and moved my things to Long Island in preparation for the start of my summer internship.  With all this travel, I haven't had the chance to cook at all.  We had many delicious meals throughout our travels but it was amazing how delicious and relaxing it was to have my own food tonight.

I had a very bare pantry to come home to and didn't have much to work with.  Luckily I had some frozen chicken and broccoli and canned water chestnuts.  Since the sauce could be made with the ingredients that I always have in the fridge (which were still there since they don't go bad when left for weeks), I turned what I had into a stir fry.  I didn't have any rice around so I cooked up some whole wheat linguine (a very Asian ingredient... I know...) and mixed my stir fry with it.  It was a very tasty combination. :)

I was surprised by how much food this made.  We both ate a very filling dinner and there are two more servings in the fridge which I expect will become a very tasty lunch tomorrow.  



Recipe:
1 large chicken breast (about 1/2 pound)
16 oz. frozen broccoli
1 8 oz. can of whole water chestnuts
8 oz. whole wheat linguine
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 tbs. sriracha sauce
1 tsp. spicy oyster sauce
1 tbs. toasted sesame oil
1 tbs. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. light brown sugar
1/4 c. water
1 tbs. cornstarch 
1 tsp. minced garlic 
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
approx. 1/2 c. chicken stock

1. Cut chicken breast into 1/4" strips.  Cut water chestnuts into slices. 
2. Mix soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch in a bowl.  Set aside.
3. Heat a large pot of water over high heat.  Cook linguine (or any noodle) according to package directions. 
4. Heat a wok or large saute pan with a lid over medium high heat.  Add 2 tbs. vegetable oil. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flake while oil is heating.
5. When garlic begins to sizzle, add chicken breast. Saute for 2-3 minutes 
6. Add broccoli and a 1/2 - 1 tsp. of soy sauce.  Mix well. Place lid on pan and allow to steam for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add water chestnuts and the stir fry sauce from step 2.  Mix well.
8. Add chicken stock as needed to thin the sauce out so that there is enough liquid to coat the pasta.
9. Mix stir fry into the cooked and drained linguine.  Mix until the noodles are coated with the sauce.  Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment