Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Andouille and Chicken Gumbo (a.k.a. "Challenge Okra")

A couple weeks ago while visiting friends, I was discussing my blog with my friend, Ryan.  He suggested that I should start taking challenges from people of ingredients to utilize.  I thought it was a really fun thing to try so Ryan gave me my first challenge: okra.  So tonight, despite the 90 degree weather here in Albany, I made a huge pot of gumbo.

It was really simple to make, just took a little longer than a typical weeknight dinner.  But this was delicious!  I served the gumbo with a scoop of steamed rice on top.  This was nice and spicy.

This has plenty of veggies to balance out the 2 pounds of meat in the gumbo.  We'll be eating this for a few meals to use it up before we head to Long Island this weekend.

I look forward to attempting many more challenges... so send them my way and I'll do my best to complete them.



Recipe:
1 lb. andouille sausage
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 oz. fresh okra
2 green bell peppers
1 large white onion
6 stalks celery
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 tbs. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
3 tbs. tomato paste
4 c. chicken stock
1/3 c. AP flour
1 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. vegetable oil (approximate)

1. Cut chicken and sausage into bite-sized pieces. Dice bell pepper, onion, and celery.  Cut okra into 1/2" slices, discarding the stems.
2. Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat.  Add 1 tbs. olive oil.  Brown chicken.  Add sausage and brown until edges are slightly crisp and fat has rendered.  Remove meat from pan and measure drippings.
3. Add vegetable oil to drippings to make 1/3 cup.  Return to pan and place over medium low heat.  Add flour and mix thoroughly to make a roux.  Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until color darkens to a reddish-orange (like a new penny) (about 5 minutes).
4. Add veggies (except okra) and salt.  Mix well.  Add tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, and diced tomatoes, okra, and chicken stock..  Mix until combined.
5. Bring to a simmer.  Maintain heat, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft (approx. 45 minutes) (put the meat back in after about 30 minutes, continue cooking so flavors combine).
6. Serve with a scoop of rice on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment