Monday, June 27, 2011

Vegetable Bean Soup (a.k.a. Challenge Kale)

Last night I made a huge pot of soup.  I’ve had kale before in minestrone soups so I made my own version.  I now have a huge pot of soup in my fridge.  Last night I sprinkled the soup with some parmesan cheese.  Tonight I had a second serving, although the pasta absorbed all the liquid so it’s now more of a pasta dish than a soup.  I decided to go without the cheese tonight.  Still delicious.

Kale is like most other leafy greens in that it wilts down to almost nothing when it cooks.  So the huge bunch of kale takes up much less space once it’s put into a pot for a couple of minutes. 

Overall, this soup was very easy to make and very healthy.  It had a great fresh flavor from all the veggies.  The flavor was great tonight as leftovers too.   This soup will probably feed me for most of the rest of the week – which is a good thing since I don’t have too much time after work to make a big meal. 

Last Night's Soup

Tonight's Pasta Dish


Recipe:
1 zucchini, diced
1 onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
3 large carrots, sliced
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
8 oz. whole wheat rotini
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch (8 oz) kale, woody stems removed, finely chopped
6 cups chicken stock
1 tbs. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flake
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add 1 tbs. olive oil.  Add celery, onion, and carrot, salt and pepper to taste.  Sauté until beginning to soften slightly, 4-5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and zucchini and sauté for 1 minute.  Add diced tomatoes, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, oregano, crushed red pepper flake, and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil.
3. Add kale.  Stir until the kale wilts into the soup.
4. Add beans, chick peas, and pasta.  Cook for approximately 10 minutes until pasta is tender.
5. Adjust seasonings and serve.  Top with parmesan cheese if desired.

1 comment:

  1. looks super good sweetie! sadly, i am not finding a lot of canned beans here, and i'm too lazy to cook them up myself! also, next challenge: passionfruit :-)

    ReplyDelete