Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken, Part 2

I made spinach and feta stuffed chicken before. Tonight I decided to make them a bit differently.  Instead of frying them before baking them, I put them straight into the oven.  They turned out great!  And even though I sprayed them with cooking spray I know that they were healthier than the last batch.

I used frozen spinach this time which also makes it easier for me to make this - I almost always have frozen spinach in the freezer which means I don't have to have fresh spinach on hand.

I served this with a simple rice pilaf and some oven-roasted carrots.  The recipe for the rice is in the previous post (linked to above).  For the carrots, I just sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and olive oil and baked for approx. 20 minutes.

Overall, this turned out to be a very tasty meal.  Jeremy really enjoyed it and, as usual, wants more.  It looks like clean-up should be easier with this recipe since it wasn't fried before being baked.  I will certainly make this again - possibly with other variations on filling. :) 


Recipe:
1/2 lb. chicken breast (I had one huge breast but it could also be made with 2 small breasts)
1 c. frozen chopped spinach
3 oz. reduced-fat feta cheese
1/2 c. Italian style bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Spray an 8"x8" baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Microwave the spinach in a bowl for 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Butterfly the chicken breast and pound the chicken until it's between 1/2" and 1/4". (Since I used 1 breast, I cut it into 2 pieces when I butterflied it before I pounded it out.)  Salt and pepper the chicken to taste.
4. When the spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze the liquid out of it.  Mix the spinach and feta together.
5. Spread the spinach-feta mixture evenly on the chicken, leaving 1/2" of open space at one end.  
6. Beginning at the non-empty end, roll up tightly.  Spread breadcrumbs on a plate.  Roll each chicken roll in the breadcrumbs and place in the baking pan.  Spray the tops with cooking spray and place in the oven.
7. Bake for approx. 45 minutes until chicken is cooked through (internal temp should be between 170 and 180 degrees). 

No comments:

Post a Comment