Saturday, January 8, 2011

Veggie Pizza with (Mostly) Whole Wheat Crust

I've been making my own pizza for a while now... it's fun and I get to control how much of everything I get on my pizza. And I choose how long it cooks... so none of the veggies are undercooked etc. Sometimes I resort to premade dough from the supermarket (not frequently though). But with a small amount of planning ahead, I've found I can usually make my own dough and while it's not quite a pizzeria pizza, it's pretty close.

Well, tonight I tried a new recipe for the dough. And it was really good. Easy to make and even easier to roll out (which mine is usually a little finicky). Tonight's pizza was topped with spinach, tomatoes, green bell peppers,  onions, garlic, and mozzarella cheese. I didn't have any sauce so it's sauceless... but I think the tomatoes more than make up for that.

The crust was a little bland... so next time I'll try adding some chopped herbs and perhaps some garlic to it. I also baked the crust without the toppings for a few minutes... but it got a little too crispy so I'll skip that next time.



Recipe:
1 1/4 c. AP flour
1 1/4 - 1 3/4 whole wheat flour
1 c. water (at 120 - 130 degrees)
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 packet active dry yeast

1. Mix AP flour, yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add water and oil. Using a handmixer, mix on low speed for 30 seconds until all ingredients come together. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix on high for 3 minutes. Begin incorporating as much of the whole wheat flour as possible, mixing with a spoon. (When it gets more difficult, I started using my hands.) Turn out onto a floured cutting board or counter. Kneed for around 8 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
2. Place the dough in a bowl and cover and roll around in a little olive oil. Cover and allow to sit on the counter for 30 minutes. (If you want multiple pizzas, cut the dough and place in separate bowls.)
3. Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees. (Alternatively, preheat the oven and just use a baking sheet.)
4. Place the dough on a large cutting board or counter. Roll out using a rolling pin (or just pat out with your hands) until 1/4 inch thick.
5. Place dough onto stone (or baking sheet) and top.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment