Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chicken and Bean Tacos

Tonight I wanted a fairly quick meal so that I didn't miss too much of the football games. Our fridge/cupboards are a little bare (we're going grocery shopping tomorrow) but tacos sounded really good to both of us and luckily I had all of the ingredients. I make these fairly frequently as the entire meal - from the start of cooking until when I sit down with a plate - comes together in about 20 minutes. Plus this makes quite a bit of filling so it ends up feeding us for a couple lunches as well. Just refrigerate the leftovers and reheat before placing in taco shells and topping. 

I've also made these with ground beef or ground turkey - also very tasty. These are even good without meat. If I have cheese on hand, I sometimes add some on top of the tacos but as I don't have cheese around most of the time, these (like usual) didn't have any. These tacos could be topped with anything - Jeremy usually uses just lettuce, jalapeƱos, and taco sauce or salsa (or both). I add tomatoes to mine as well (but I was out of those tonight - still yummy though!). Jeremy prefers to use soft taco shells but I've always been partial to hard. We keep both around so we're both happy.
Jeremy's Taco
My Tacos

 
The filling - mid-cooking.

Recipe:
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
1 can (12.5 oz) chicken breast, drained
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
1/2 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. paprika
salt and pepper to taste
assorted taco toppings (whatever fits your taste)

1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbs. olive oil. Add onion and saute until slightly softened. Add garlic and chipotle peppers. Stir and continue to cook until the onions are soft. 
2. Add chicken, beans, and corn. Add seasonings. Add 1/2 c. water (this is just to help the spices spread evenly over the filling). 
3. Cook over medium to medium low heat until the water is evaporated.
4. Spoon into taco shells of your choice and top with whatever you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment