Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

Last week was a busy one... I didn't find much time to cook. Then with friends visiting, Jeremy and I ended up eating out a bit the last couple days (and eating leftovers when we didn't). Tonight I found the time to make some stuffed peppers in and around my work. These aren't very quick but since there isn't much to do while they sit in the oven, I usually don't count that time. :)

Growing up, I thought stuffed peppers were gross... of course my only experience with them was Stouffers... and I didn't like peppers then. Go figure. A couple years ago I decided to try to make my own and they turned out great. My recipe varies from time to time depending on my mood. Sometimes it has rice, sometimes breadcrumbs. Sometimes I steam them in some white wine, sometimes (like tonight) they cook in beef broth. But all-in-all, the basic technique remains the same

I make these with ground venison usually, thanks to fairly regular deliveries from my parents, but a lean ground beef works equally well. The beef would likely just need to be drained. I've made a vegetarian version of these (which I loved... although Jeremy said it caused "veggie overload"). The vegetarian version had edamame, more diced up pepper, and more rice in it. Still very delicious.

This recipe makes way too much filling for one dinner. I'll refrigerate the rest and either make more stuffed peppers later in the week or put it on bread for a messy open-face sandwich. Either way it's very tasty. 

Tonight, Jeremy and I each ate one pepper. We rounded out the dinner with a salad and some fresh Italian herb bread, thanks to a Christmas present - a bread-machine mix from Williams-Sonoma. :)


Stuffed Pepper with Italian Herb Bread
The Filling

Recipe:
3/4 c. rice
1 1/2 c. beef broth (or water)
1 lb. ground venison (or beef, turkey, etc.)
2 medium green bell peppers
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tbs. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. spaghetti sauce - plus a couple tablespoons for under/on top of the peppers (I used a tomato basil sauce)
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, plus two teaspoons for topping
2 tbs. Italian style breadcrumbs
1/4 c. beef broth or dry white wine

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Put the 1 1/2 c. beef broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until liquid is absorbed (15-20 min.). Set aside.
3. Cut the tops off the peppers. Set the peppers aside. Dice the pepper tops to add to the filling.
4. Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
5. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbs. olive oil. Brown the ground meat in the pan.
6. Add diced bell peppers, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper flake, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute until veggies begin to soften.
7. Add rice, mix to coat.
8. Add 1/2 c. spaghetti sauce and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese. Mix and reduce heat to low. Continue to simmer until liquid is mostly gone. Turn heat off.
9. In a glass baking dish, place one tablespoon of spaghetti sauce under each bell pepper. Fill bell peppers with the filling. Top each pepper with one tablespoon of spaghetti sauce, one teaspoon of parmesan cheese, and 1 tbs. of breadcrumbs. Add beef broth (or wine) to the baking dish. Cover loosely with foil - try to keep it off the tops of the peppers if possible. 
10. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve with any sauce/liquid left in the bottom of the baking dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment