Sunday, January 9, 2011

Matzo Ball Soup

I made this a couple nights ago when Jeremy was first getting sick... now that he's successfully given me his cold too, I'm glad that I still have leftovers. Nothing beats a hot chicken soup to make you feel slightly better while sniffling.

This certainly isn't the most traditional matzo ball soup but it's reallllly tasty. I think it's probably closer to a cross between matzo ball soup and chicken noodle soup than a traditional matzo ball... but since I've only had my matzo ball soup and my mother-in-law's matzo balls, I have nothing to compare it to. But since Jeremy's not complaining, I think it's ok. :)

This recipe fed the two of us for dinner and then had 5 servings leftover. If this isn't filling enough... it goes quite well with some nice crusty bread.


Recipe:
2 cups unsalted matzo meal
8 eggs
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbs. dry parsley flakes
3 carrots, diced
4 ribs celery, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. dry thyme leaves
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
5 c. chicken stock
1 - 1 1/2 c. water
salt and pepper to taste

1. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add water, oil, salt, pepper, and parsley. Mix well. Add matzo meal and stir until combined. Refrigerate for 30 - 60 minutes.
2. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 2 tbs. olive oil. Add carrots, celery, and onions and saute until veggies begin to soften. Add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and crushed red pepper and saute for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
3. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Bring soup to a boil. Roll the matzo mix into 1" balls and drop into the boiling liquid. (I got around 30 balls last time.) Once all the balls are in, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
5. Taste the broth and adjust seasoning as needed. Add water if there isn't enough broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment