Thursday, March 1, 2012

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes (the Fluffy Version!)

Thanks to a lovely snowstorm last night, I don't have school today.  To celebrate I skipped having my normal oatmeal bar for breakfast before class and instead decided to make pancakes. I love snow days. :)

I've made these pancakes a few times and they're always delicious (see previous post).  But this morning I wanted them to turn out a little fluffier. The batter is usually pretty loose so I decided to use more flour in them to thicken it up.  I also used powdered buttermilk instead of regular buttermilk.  (If you have regular buttermilk around, you can go ahead and use that in place of the water and buttermilk powder.  You'd just substitute 1 1/2 c. buttermilk for the water and powder.)

These definitely made a more puffy pancake.  Both are delicious.  This just goes to show how awesome playing with your food is. :)



Recipe:
(made 12 pancakes):
3/4 c. oatmeal (rolled oats)
1 1/2 c. water
6 tbs. buttermilk powder
1 c. white whole wheat flour (I have King Arthur brand -- you could use regular whole wheat flour too)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (or not freshly grated if you don't have it)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbs. margarine, melted
1 tbs. light brown sugar

1. Place oatmeal in the water to soak for approximately 10 minutes. (I soaked it until I had the rest of the ingredients ready.)
2. Whisk flour, buttermilk powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl. Add margarine, brown sugar, the egg, and water-oatmeal mixture. Whisk until just combined.
3. Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat. When water sizzles and dances on the surface, add batter (1/4 c. for each pancake - makes about a 4-5" pancake).
4. Flip when the edges begin to appear dry and the bottom of the pancake is a nice golden brown.
5. Serve with your favorite pancake toppings - maple syrup, fruit, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment