Sunday, March 6, 2011

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes

So this is my first breakfast post. Usually, Jeremy and I eat cereal or oatmeal during the week so there's no need to post that. Even the eggs and pancakes I usually make on the weekends aren't special enough to post. However, this morning I made these pancakes.



I was trying to decide what to make for us and was searching around for pancake recipes. Bisquick just wasn't going to cut it today. When I saw that these were made with whole wheat flour and oatmeal, I knew I had to try them. They were incredibly easy to make and VERY delicious.

They had a great texture as they stayed moist in the middle thanks to the oatmeal. They were quite hearty too. The flavor was great - a subtle spice flavor from the cinnamon and nutmeg. I almost didn't need syrup on them. Jeremy eats his pancakes without syrup all the time and he loved these. I will probably add a bit more cinnamon next time as we both thought that the flavor in there was delicious but a tad subtle.

I also didn't have buttermilk. Luckily, I remembered that you can make buttermilk from regular milk and white vinegar (or lemon juice). So I quickly looked up the steps to make buttermilk and then went ahead with the recipe. I will definitely be trying this recipe again with real buttermilk.

These pancakes were simple enough that I might not even keep Bisquick around anymore... It just took a couple extra measurements. I adapted the recipe I found online and it worked out fantastically. I'm really happy I found a whole wheat pancake recipe that both of us enjoy. It will definitely be made again.




Recipe (makes approximately 15 pancakes):
3/4 c. oatmeal (rolled oats)
1 1/2 c. buttermilk (see below for directions on making your own)
3/4 c. whole wheat flour (I have King Arthur brand)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (or not freshly grated if you don't have it)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbs. margarine, melted
1 tbs. light brown sugar

1. Place oatmeal in the buttermilk to soak for approximately 10 minutes. (I soaked it until I had the rest of the ingredients ready.)
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl. Add margarine, brown sugar, the egg, and buttermilk-oatmeal mixture. Whisk until just combined.
3. Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat. When water sizzles and dances on the surface, add batter (1/4 c. for each pancake - makes about a 4-5" pancake).
4. Flip when the edges begin to appear dry and the bottom of the pancake is a nice golden brown.
5. Serve with your favorite pancake toppings - maple syrup, fruit, etc.

Buttermilk (if you need to substitute):
3 tbs. white vinegar
1 1/2 c. minus 3 tablespoons skim milk (you can use any type of milk... I just always have skim on hand)

1. Place vinegar in a large glass measuring cup.
2. Add milk until it reaches the 1 1/2 c. line
3. Let sit 5 minutes.
* Since I was letting the oats soak in the mixture for the pancakes, I didn't rest the milk mixture before adding the oats. I mixed the vinegar and the milk, then immediately added the oats and let them all sit together. It worked out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment