Saturday, March 19, 2011

Chicken with Broccoli and Carrots

Sorry for the long break... in addition to being crazy busy, I was visiting my sister in Edinburgh, which meant that I wasn't cooking much. I'm trying to convince Jeremy to do some guest posts because he made some really yummy sounding dishes while I was gone but so far he's not interested. I didn't cook last night because I just passed out thanks to the time change and the insanely long day of traveling.

Tonight though, we wanted something healthy, relatively quick, and yummy. Since I didn't get a lot of Chinese food in Scotland and because the fridge didn't have a lot of fresh veggies, I decided to make chicken with broccoli - one of my favorite Chinese dishes.

I often make variations on this - changing the sauce and the veggies to match whatever I have on hand and whatever I feel like eating that night. This wasn't a very spicy dish and the spice could be eliminated entirely by leaving out the red pepper flakes and hot sauce. I served this over some simple steamed rice. Very delicious



Recipe:
2 chicken breasts (or 1 really large one)
3 cups broccoli florets
2 carrots
2 scallions
3 tsp. spicy oyster sauce (divided)
6 tbs. soy sauce (divided)
3 tbs. rice wine vinegar (divided)
3 tbs. vegetable oil (divided)
1 tbs. hot sauce (I had a habanero-garlic sauce)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flake (divided)
1 tsp. minced garlic (1 clove)
2 tbs. cornstarch

1. Slice chicken into 1/4 inch pieces. In a medium bowl, mix 1 tbs. spicy oyster sauce, 2 tbs. soy sauce, 1 tbs. rice wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flake, and 1 tbs. vegetable oil. Add chicken and mix. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
2. Slice carrots into 1/8 inch rounds. Slice scallions.
3. In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp. spicy oyster sauce, 4 tbs. soy sauce, 2 tbs. rice wine vinegar, 1 tbs. vegetable oil, 1 tbs. hot sauce, 1 tsp. minced garlic, and 2 tbs. cornstarch.
4. Heat 1 tbs. vegetable oil in a large wok. Add 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flake and allow to fry for 30 seconds (don't let it burn). Add chicken (with the marinade liquid). Stir frequently for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add broccoli and carrots. Cover with a lid and allow to steam for 4-5 minutes.
6. Add scallions and mix, cooking for 1 minute or until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
7. Add sauce mixture. Stir to combine. Allow to cook until the sauce thickens, 1-2 minutes. Add soy sauce if it appears to dry/tight or allow to cook for a another minute or two if too loose.
8. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment