Friday, March 2, 2012

Szechuan Venison Stir-Fry

Spicy and delicious.  I have venison around (thanks Dad and Mom) but if you don't normally have that you could substitute beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, etc.  The protein could take a little more or less time to cook but it's easy to switch it up.

This dish is also filled with veggies.  I like to have a mix of different veggies but if you aren't as huge of a veggie-nut as I am (I don't know many who are...) then you can just use the veggies you like and in the quantities you want.  Stir-fries are such versatile things that you can adapt completely to your taste.  It's just a method of cooking and once you have that down it's great to play with the ingredients and sauces to come up with your own combinations (even if they aren't all completely traditional).

I served this with brown rice but you could use regular white rice or make some fried rice to go with it.  In any event, this is much healthier than chinese take-out... not to mention quite a bit cheaper (not right upfront... but once you have all the ingredients in the house you can make it over and over again and it will save money in the long-run).  Jeremy and I usually get 5-6 servings out of my stir fries.  I just have to make some extra rice or noodles to go with it if I didn't make enough the first time.  Makes for some delicious lunches. :)



Recipe:
1 lb. venison (or beef) steak
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tbs. lower sodium soy sauce, divided
1 1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 carrot, thinly sliced into matchsticks
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 jalapenos, thinly sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 c. sliced napa cabbage
5 scallions, thinly sliced
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 tbs. sriracha
1/2 tsp. ground szechuan peppercorns (plus more for dusting, optional)

1. Thinly slice the steak into matchsticks.  In a bowl, combine steak, cornstarch, 1 tbs. soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flake.  Mix to coat the steak completely.  Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.  (You could do this as long as overnight.  Probably don't want to do less than 30 minutes or so.)
2. Heat a wok over high heat.  Add 1 tbs. of vegetable oil with garlic and half of the scallions.  Add meat (with marinade) and stir-fry until cooked through.  Transfer to a plate.  Add 1/2 tbs. more oil and add the celery, carrots, jalapenos, and bell peppers.  Stir fry for 1-2 minutes until beginning to soften.  Add cabbage and scallions and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the veggies are crisp tender.
3. Return the meat to the stir fry and add the remaining soy sauce, sriracha and the szechuan peppercorns.  Mix well to combine and heat the meat through.  Serve with rice, dusted with an additional pinch of szechuan peppercorns if you like .*

*When you need to start the rice will depend on what type of rice you're using.  I started cooking the rice before I started slicing the veggies for the stir fry.  It was done at exactly the same time, which worked out nicely.  Nothing is more annoying to me than having to wait for my rice after the stir fry is completely cooked... so plan accordingly. :)

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a gas range or some other wok configuration? I have trouble doing any sort of stir frying because I am saddled with an old (and particularly scary) electric range, I think I smell burning wires when it is on high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently lucky enough to have a gas stove. I had that problem in the past (especially over the summer when I swear I was using a stove older than me!). Generally I just cooked over a lower heat (to make sure I didn't burn the apartment down!) and the stir fry was different. Cooking slower, my veggies got more tender and less crisp-cooked. But the flavors were ok based on the sauce I made.

    I have seen a few electric woks (for example http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17777548) but haven't used any of them. It might not be worth the investment if you don't stir fry much but if you're stuck with your stove, then perhaps it would be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually a great and helpful pіесe of іnformation.
    I'm satіsfied thаt уou juѕt shаred thiѕ hеlpful info ωith us.
    Pleasе keеp us up to date liκe this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    my webpagе: voyance par telephone

    ReplyDelete