Sunday, September 18, 2011

Roast Turkey with Sweet Potato Hash

So last night I made a Thanksgiving-ish meal.  I had a sweet potato left over from when  I made the gnocchi a couple of weeks ago so I decided to use up my sage and make something reminiscent of Thanksgiving.  I bought a boneless turkey breast from the grocery store (it came with its own gravy packet).  I just followed the directions on the package for that so I'm not writing it up here.  The gravy was a little salty... but overall good when poured over the turkey and the hash.

I wanted to incorporate a lot of the flavors of stuffing into the hash.  I used a bunch of herbs and if I'd had poultry seasoning around I probably would have added it.  The hash ended up taking longer than I expected to make so the turkey was done a bit before the hash.  But I just put some foil over the turkey to keep it warm until we were ready to eat.

I served this with some corn on the side. The whole meal was delicious and I'm really excited for the leftovers.  We have about half of the turkey breast (and a lot of gravy) left and a lot of hash.  It should be delicious tomorrow. :)



Hash:
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 tsp. minced fresh sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 c. chicken stock
1 tbs. vegetable oil
1 tbs. margarine
salt and pepper

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large glass bowl.  Cover with water and plastic wrap.  Microwave for 7-9 minutes until mostly tender (it will vary depending on your microwave...).
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.  Add vegetable oil and margarine.  When the margarine melts, add bell pepper, celery, and onion.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Saute for 5-6 minutes until beginning to soften.
3. Add sage, thyme, parsley, and potatoes.  Mix until well combined.  Add chicken stock.
4. Put pan in the oven and stir occasionally while it cooks for 10-15 minutes. It's done when the potatoes are completely tender and the liquid is evaporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment