Sunday, September 18, 2011

Puffy Pancakes

So this morning I was craving pancakes.  I was trying to decide whether to make blueberry pancakes (with the frozen berries I keep in the freezer) or "puffy pancakes."  One of my cookbooks has a recipe for a puffy pancake.  I'd never tried it before so I decided to see what it was like. The cookbook said it served 2-4 people... I can't see this serving more than 2 unless everyone eating was under the age of 5.  But it was a decent breakfast for Jeremy and me.  We'll see how long it keeps us full. :)

It was really simple to make.  After melting the butter, all I had to do was pour the batter in the pie plate and let it go.  It puffed up like crazy in the oven.


I cut the finished "pancake" into quarters and gave each of us two. I poured some maple syrup over mine and just dusted Jeremy's with a little powdered sugar.  It was delicious! It was crusty on the outside but fluffy and chewy on the inside.  It was almost custard-y... like french toast. I will definitely be making this again... possibly with some chocolate sauce or berries. :)

My "pancakes"

Jeremy's "pancakes"

Recipe:
2 tbs. margarine
2 eggs
1/2 c. AP flour
1/2 c. skim milk
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 400.  Put the margarine in a 9" pie plate and place in oven to melt.  When the margarine is melted, brush it over the bottom and sides of pie plate.
2. While the margarine is melting, beat the eggs lightly in a bowl.  Add flour, milk, and salt.  Beat until just mixed (don't over mix - lumps are ok).
3. Pour the batter into the pie plate and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until puffy and golden brown.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment