Monday, September 5, 2011

Pork Egg Rolls

I've made these egg rolls before and posted about them.  But since I've tweaked the recipe... and remembered to take pictures, I decided to post them again.  I make a big batch and freeze them.  The egg roll wrappers I buy come in about 20 wrappers per package - so that's how many I make.  Then as we want them, I can reheat a couple in the oven.  By reheating them in the oven, they stay crispy.  Usually I would make a stir fry to accompany these... but inevitably the night I make them they become the whole meal. :)

I usually make these with ground pork.  But I've also used ground turkey and ground chicken.  Any ground meat will work and it could be substituted for other veggies or tofu if you wanted a vegetarian option.  

I always buy egg roll wrappers for this.  I find them near the tofu in the produce section of the grocery store.  They wrap up really well and so far I haven't been adventurous enough to try to make my own.  It seems like it would be a LOT of work.  

I made the filling for this in the middle of the afternoon.  That way it had plenty of time to cool before I wrapped the egg rolls.  These egg rolls were baked in the oven.  They're a little easier that way... and healthier.  I have used my deep fryer to fry the egg rolls before but since we discovered that they were pretty good baked, I usually bake them.  They aren't quite as crispy as when they're fried, but the improvement in healthiness more than makes up for that in my opinion.  

The dipping sauce that I make to go along with this is rather spicy... but it can be toned down by omitting/cutting down the sriracha sauce.  (Same goes for the filling... omit/cut down on the crushed red pepper flake and sriracha if you don't want it spicy.)

I think the hardest part is waiting for them to cool enough so that we don't burn ourselves... it's painful... both the wait, and the burn if you don't. :)
The Filling - As it cools. 


1 lb. ground pork (90/10)
10 oz. shredded carrots
2 lbs. green cabbage, shredded
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbs.. corn starch
4 tbs. light soy sauce
3 tbs. sriracha sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
3 tbs. rice wine vinegar

1. Heat a wok over high heat.  Add 2 tbs. vegetable oil.  Add crushed red pepper flakes and garlic and mix until fragrant (be sure not to burn the garlic).  Add pork and break up with a spoon or spatula.  Cook until browned through.
2. Add cabbage, carrots, green onions, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, and rice wine vinegar.  Put a lid on the wok and cook until the cabbage and carrots are beginning to get tender.  Remove lid and add cornstarch.  Mix well to combine so the cornstarch begins to thicken the remaining liquid.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.  (I needed 2 sheets for the 20 egg rolls this made... so plan accordingly depending on the size of your baking sheets.)
4. Add approximately 1/4 c. of the filling to each egg roll.  Wrap by folding in 2 corners, wet the edges with a little water, then roll from the bottom corner to the top.  Repeat for each egg roll.  Arrange on the baking sheet.
5. Spray the tops of the egg rolls with non-stick spray.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.  Flip the egg rolls after 12 minutes and rotate pans if necessary.

Dipping sauce:
1/4 c. light soy sauce
1/4 c. chicken stock
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
1 tbs. sriracha sauce
2 tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. sesame oil
1-2 tbs. sliced green onion (I used only the green part because that's what I had left.)

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Mix well.  Serve with the egg rolls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment