Monday, April 2, 2012

Agave Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Another dessert craving struck tonight.  As usual this left me searching for a recipe that (a) was reasonably healthy and (b) didn't make several dozen cookies.  I came across a few recipes that intrigued me... but none that quite hit the spot.  So after some tinkering I figured out how to combine them.

I used chocolate chips in this recipe but you could substitute nuts or fruit -- or a mixture of whatever you like.  You could substitute honey for the agave syrup if you want -- it works as a 1 to 1 substitution.  I like agave syrup because it has its own unique flavor.  It also has the benefit of having a lower glycemic index than other sugars.

I use agave in margaritas and smoothies as well.  While I've started seeing agave syrup in my local grocery store, it comes in much smaller bottles and is expensive.  I still buy it on Amazon so that I get a bit of a price break.

This recipe made 15 cookies -- a perfect amount for me and Jeremy.  We'll eat them up over the next few days so it isn't too bad for us.  Overall a delicious treat. :)



Recipe:
1/2 c. amber agave syrup
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 tbs. margarine
1 egg
1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a mixer, combine the margarine, agave syrup, and egg.  Mix until well combined.
2. Add the flour, rolled oats, salt, and baking soda.  Mix until a soft dough forms.
3. Add chocolate chips and mix until the chips are evenly distributed (do this on a low speed so you don't crush the chips too much).
4. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Portion the dough out (about 2 tbs. per cookie).  The cookies should be 2"-3" apart.
5. Bake for approximately 12 minutes until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. these came out very nice for me, i even substituted applesauce for 2/3 of the margarine. glad to have tried the agave as such a major ingredient. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete