Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tofu Stir-fry (a.k.a. Challenge Tofu)

I haven't really eaten a lot of tofu in my life.  But since tofu absorbs pretty much whatever flavor you put it with, I willingly accepted the challenge of cooking something with tofu.  I didn't really go outside the box but it was fun experimenting with a new ingredient nonetheless.  I just picked up some cubed tofu at my local supermarket and made a stir fry like I normally would.

Surprisingly, Jeremy actually enjoyed the stir fry.  He said it didn't make up for the lack of meat but if given the choice between an all-veggie stir fry with tofu or without he'd probably choose tofu about half the time.  Since he usually doesn't want to touch tofu, that's a big development. :)

I'll certainly be using tofu in the future, and I'll try to get a bit more adventurous with it.  But overall this was a really easy stir fry to put together and ended up being very tasty.

The picture isn't very good for this but that's because the lighting in my apartment on Long Island (where I'm living for the summer) isn't the greatest.  I also made this a few days ago but because of lack of internet access, it's only being posted now.  Next up is challenge mint.  I'll be starting that dinner in a few minutes. :)



Recipe:
1 package cubed tofu (or regular tofu cut into 1/2" cubes)
1/4 c. plus 1 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs., divided, sriracha sauce
2 tsp., divided, sesame oil
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1/2 can cut baby corn
2 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1/2 red onion, diced

1. Mix 1/4 c. soy sauce, 1 tbs. sriracha, 1 tsp. sesame oil, and 1 tsp. rice vinegar in a medium bowl.  Add cubed tofu and mix to combine.  Allow to marinate for half an hour.  (I used this time to prepare all my veggies... didn't take that much time so I got a break after cutting up the veggies.)
2. Heat a wok over high heat.  Add 1 tbs. vegetable oil.  Add tofu and liquid it marinated in.  Stir frequently, allowing the liquid to boil off.  When the liquid is gone, fry the tofu until golden.  Remove to a plate.
3. Add 1 tbs. vegetable oil.  Add carrots,  bell peppers, and celery and stir fry for 1 minute.  Add onions and baby corn and stir fry for another minute.  Place a lid on the wok to steam the veggies until tender.
4. Add 1 tbs. soy sauce, 1 tbs. sriracha, 1 tsp. sesame oil.  Mix well.
5. Add tofu back to the pan to reheat.
6. Serve with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment