Sunday, February 3, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

I know, two posts in 1 day!  But this recipe was just too good not to share.

I'm not vegan (if the rest of the posts on this blog didn't give that away...) but I ran across a recipe that was vegan, low-fat, AND chocolaty   Since I had a lot of applesauce to use in the fridge, I decided to give it a try.  After some tweaking, these cupcakes were delicious.

This was also a really easy recipe to pull together.  It uses all common ingredients (or at least common ingredients for my pantry).  Another plus of this being vegan: absolutely NO GUILT when you lick the whisk and/or measuring cup and/or spatula.  

I will definitely be doubling this recipe the next time I make it.  These were amazing!  I don't think it would be possible to identify these as vegan or healthy if you didn't know the ingredients.  Yum.

I dusted mine with powdered sugar because that's what I had.  These would be delicious with frosting though.  Maybe next time.
Recipe (makes 12 cupcakes):
2 c. AP flour
1 c. sugar
1 tbs. corn starch
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. unsweetened applesauce

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Whisk all of the ingredients, but the applesauce, together.  Add the applesauce and whisk until incorporated.  (The batter was a little thick for me so don't fret.)
3. Coat a cupcake pan with cooking spray.  Put approximately 1/4 c. of the batter in each cupcake.
4. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.  Frost or dust with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment