Sunday, October 21, 2012

Apple Streusel Muffins

I had a few apples that I didn't really care for eating fresh (they were a little too soft for my taste).  So I baked them!  These muffins are amazing.  Deliciously sweet and tender.  I haven't (yet) joined the pumpkin craze so baked apples is what really screams fall for me.  Yum.  My whole apartment also smells amazing. :)

I don't bake much... and when I do I usually (mostly) follow a recipe.  This one combined my normal blueberry batter with a streusel topping (and some extra spices that I like).  The batter was a little thicker than my normal blueberry batter because of all of the apple in these.  I was a little nervous that they would be dry but they were perfect.

Jeremy doesn't usually like cooked fruit but he actually enjoyed these muffins.  As he said, you can see the apple, but it doesn't feel like you're biting into one when you eat the muffin.  However, we don't need two dozen muffins sitting around so my coworkers are getting a nice treat tomorrow. :)

Hope you enjoy!


Recipe (makes 24 muffins):
3 medium apples (whatever baking apples you prefer), peeled, cored, and diced (1/4" dice)
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
4 1/2 c. c. AP flour, divided
1 c. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. light brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
4 tbs. margarine or butter

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
2. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 c. flour, brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.  Cut in the margarine or butter until fine crumbs form (this is the streusel topping).  Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Beat milk, veg. oil, and eggs.  Add apples.  (I beat the eggs together and then peeled and diced the apples.  If you peel and dice the apples too early they will brown on you.  Doesn't change the taste, but it won't be as pretty.)  Add remaining cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
4. Add remaining flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Mix until just combined.  (Don't overmix.  It's ok if you still see a little bit of flour, it will bake out.  Overmixing will create a tough muffin.)
5. Spoon the batter evenly into muffin cups (mine were about 3/4 full).
6. Evenly divide the streusel topping among the muffins (around a tablespoon on each muffin).
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and they're golden brown and delicious.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Remove the muffins to wire wracks (run a knife around them if you didn't use paper cups) and allow to cool completely (or eat them right away like we did... hot but yummy).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment