Monday, May 21, 2012

Spiced Oatmeal Cookies

Sorry for the long break in posts.  Jeremy and I just moved to Rochester!  Since graduating we've been so busy with traveling and moving that I haven't had time to post.  I've cooked (a little) but nothing worth putting up here... just a couple burgers and stir fries.  We've just been too busy trying to get oriented in our new neighborhood and trying to set up our new apartment.

After tonight's burgers, I was feeling a little peckish and in need of some dessert.  And since my cupboards aren't fully stocked yet, I made do with what I had on hand.  These were delicious!  The mixture of spices I used was really yummy.  I would've added some ginger if I had it but I didn't.  Good anyway.  :)

I made these by hand because my parents still have my electric mixer.  (They took a bunch of stuff that I don't use frequently so that the movers didn't have to take it...)  I'll get my stuff from them eventually... By making sure that the margarine was fully softened, I was able to bring these cookies together with a whisk and a spatula.

You could add nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips to these and make them even more awesome.  I didn't have any of those... so they were just spiced cookies.  So easy and so versatile.  I <3 oatmeal cookies. :)


Recipe:
3 tbs. margarine, softened
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (or the non-freshly grated if that's what you have)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the margarine, light brown sugar, and egg in a bowl.  Whisk until fully combined and creamy.
2. Add the flour, oats, and spices.  Use a spatula to combine fully.
3. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.  Portion out the dough into tablespoons and space evenly on the baking sheet (about 2" apart).
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.  Allow to cool slightly before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment