Thursday, December 8, 2011

French Toast

A few days ago I made (or attempted to make) a loaf of bread.  It was from the bread machine cookbook but it didn't rise much in the machine.  So we ended up with a very dense loaf.  We've been eating it a little but had a lot left.  So this morning I decided to make french toast.

Jeremy was reluctant at first because he thought it was really unhealthy... then I showed him that it wasn't that bad (given that I was using skim milk, not cream) so he agreed that we could have it for breakfast.  I made 2 slices for each of us and ended up giving him about a third of one of my slices.  Very filling toast - probably because I used such a dense bread.

This recipe will work with whatever bread you have on hand.  Just use a dish big enough to allow all the pieces to sit flat in the custard before cooking.  It can be doubled as needed.  It's not a picky recipe so  you can certainly adjust things to fit your taste.  I topped our pieces with powdered sugar and maple syrup.  Yum!

It's a really simple recipe that doesn't take a lot of work to put together.  And the results are delicious and comforting.  I will definitely make this again with other breads that I have on hand.

My toast -- before the maple syrup drizzle.


Recipe:
4 slices bread
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt

1. In a large shallow dish beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together.  Place bread in the mixture and turn to coat both sides.  Allow to sit for about 15 minutes, turning once or twice, to allow the bread to evenly soak up the liquid.
2. Heat a griddle on medium heat.  Place bread in an even layer and cook, 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown on both sides.  (Depending on how high the heat is this may happen faster or slower... so keep an eye on the bread so it doesn't burn.)
3. Serve topped with whatever you like. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment