Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rotini with Spinach Sauce and Roasted Red Peppers

Yay for post #2 in November!  It's been a busy month... not that I haven't been cooking, but I've had no time to write up a post.  I don't really have time to write one tonight... but I don't want to work.  So procrastination wins. :)

Jeremy and I bought a bag of spinach at the grocery store this past weekend and I wanted to use some.  I don't like the texture of cooked spinach but didn't want a salad tonight - hence spinach sauce!  It had great flavor and was a lovely green color.  Made me think I was eating the Grinch or something... with the addition of the roasted red peppers, maybe I should call this Christmas pasta.  But since it's still November, I won't.

This took me only about half an hour to make.  It would have been even quicker if I'd made the pasta while making the sauce.  But since I had started dinner a bit before we wanted to eat, I had the sauce completely made before I put the pasta water on.  It would probably take only about 20 minutes if everything was started together.

This had a lot of veggies in it and was an overall healthy meal.  I will certainly be making it again.  I have one serving left in the pot so one of us will have some great leftovers tomorrow.  (And since I leave earlier, I'll probably get to them first.  Yay!)

When I first asked Jeremy how he felt about it he said, "I'm not sure."  After two minutes he said, "I like it."  I just looked over at him and I don't see any food in his bowl and he was licking his fork... I call that a success. :)

You could adapt this to your tastes - tomatoes in addition to or in place of the roasted red peppers, or other veggies altogether.  It would also probably be great with some grilled chicken.  Overall a very easy and tasty meal. And now that I don't really have any excuse not to work, back to the grind.



Recipe:
1 box (13.25 oz.) rotini
1 onion, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 tbs. dried parsley flakes
5 oz. fresh spinach
1 jar (15.5 oz) roasted red peppers, drained and diced
1/4 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. milk (I used skim)
2 tbs. grated parmesan (plus more for serving)
1 tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Heat a large saute pan (w/ a lid) over medium heat.  Add olive oil.  Add crushed red pepper flakes and swirl to heat for 20 seconds.  Add onions and saute for 5-6 minutes until translucent.  Add garlic, basil, and parsley.  Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through.  Add chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any bits.  Add spinach and mix.  Cover with lid to allow spinach to wilt.  When wilted turn off heat.
2. Place spinach mixture in a blender and add milk and parmesan cheese.  Blend until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside until pasta is done.
3. Heat a large pot of water over high heat.  When boiling, add salt (to taste, you don't need to add it... I added about 1 tsp.)  Add rotini and cook until al dente, 9-10 minutes.  Drain and return to pan. (You could do this step while making the sauce if you wanted.)
5. Combine pasta, sauce, and roasted red peppers and heat over low heat until hot through.  Serve topped with extra parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment