Monday, October 17, 2011

Cheesy Baked Penne


I've made this several times. The most recent being last night.  I almost always eyeball the amount of sauce to just use what looks right (basically the amount I'd normally eat if I was just eating the pasta without the cheese/baking). It's quite easy and very delicious. Jeremy and I both love it when the pasta around the edges gets a little chewy.

I've sometimes added spinach to this or peppers, onions, and sausage. All delicious. It's definitely a base recipe that you can play around with.

I split this recipe approximately into thirds. Jeremy got a slightly larger third, I got a slightly smaller third, and a third was leftover. I'm sure it will be very tasty leftovers for whichever of us gets to it first. :) I served this with a salad so that we got a few more veggies in us. Definitely delicious.



3/4 box (13.25 oz.) whole wheat penne
1 c. skim milk ricotta
1 c. part skim mozzarella
1/2 c. parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 c. marinara sauce

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Mix in the sauce, ricotta, 1/2 c. mozzarella, and 1/4 c. parmesan.
4. Spread into an 8x8" glass baking dish.  Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
5. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and begins to brown. (Be careful toward the end... once it starts to brown, it will go quickly.)
6. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. mom adds an egg to your version (clearly not vegan, haha) when she makes her version... but this looks good too :-)

    ReplyDelete