Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Barley Salad

Ok... so full disclosure, Jeremy doesn't like this.  But that's because he doesn't like barley OR tomatoes.  So when you don't like half of the main ingredients, you're not likely to enjoy the dish.  Jeremy says the whole thing tastes like tomatoes.  I don't taste it but I also like tomato flavor so that could be why.

But I really like this.  I had a farro salad similar to this one as a side dish when we went out to dinner a few nights ago and I decided to try to recreate it with barley.  This is really simple and it will probably feed me for at least two meals.  It was also really quick and easy since I had extra cooked barley sitting in the fridge.

I wouldn't call this cooking... but I did make the salad.  I will certainly make this for me to eat again but I won't force Jeremy to have any.  This would also be good with a little onion flavor so I might add a little minced onion, scallion, or shallot next time.



Recipe:
2 c. cooked pearl barley
1 tomato, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Throw all the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Mix well.
3. Enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment