Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Flounder with Scallion-Ginger-Garlic Sauce

Tonight Jeremy and I decided that we wanted something healthy for dinner. We bought some frozen flounder a little while ago but hadn't used any of it yet. Since I'm still trying to find more ways to cook fish, I decided to try to come up with a recipe from what I had around. I served this with some rice - made with a bit of margarine and dried cilantro - and some steamed broccoli.

I had some scallions in the fridge and a bit of ginger in the freezer (keeping it in the freezer makes it last longer and then I can just cut off a chunk and chop it up or grate it when I'm ready to use it). I always have garlic on hand. I thought the flavors would go together and add a nice dimension to the fish, so I gave it a try. A very good result.

Overall, the fish tasted really fresh (always a good thing for frozen fish). The flavors really complimented the fish and the sauce was yummy on the broccoli and rice as well. It was delicious even though the delicate fillets didn't hold together completely in the pan. We both really enjoyed this so it will definitely be made again.



Recipe:
Fish
2 frozen flounder fillets (approx. 5 oz. each), thawed
salt and pepper
3 scallions, sliced
1 inch ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c. chicken stock
1 tbs. margarine

1. Pat the fish fillets dry. Salt and pepper both sides to taste.
2. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tbs. olive oil. When the oil ripples, add fish to the pan (if there's skin, skin-side down - mine didn't have skin.) Cook 4-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness). Don't mess with it too much or try to turn too early or it could fall apart.
3. Remove fish and wrap loosely in foil to keep warm. Add scallions, garlic, ginger, and chicken stock to the pan. Stir to combine. Scrape any bits off of the bottom of the pan. Allow to reduce for 4-5 minutes until about half the liquid is gone. Add the margarine and adjust salt and pepper to taste. (I only added a few grinds of pepper.)
4. Serve fish with sauce on top.

Rice (I started the rice before the fish and the timing worked out perfectly):
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
1 tbs. margarine
3/4 c. rice

1. Place water, cilantro, and margarine in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. When boiling, add rice. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Cook for approx. 15 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
4. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment